Friday, June 1, 2012

Lexington BBQ Festival

Aw, yeah, I went to a BBQ festival a few weeks ago. Did you? I think not, loser. First I should say there was an alpaca viewing area right next to the entrance. I made a note to get a picture of Connor with an alpaca later. But let's get some food first. Heather and I got in one vendor's line and she said to me "Hey, get your own food." So I left and went to another line and we regrouped later. Heather got this:


She got two sliders, one pulled pork and one beef brisket, and a corn cob from some vendor we don't even remember. The brisket was really good. The corn was awesome, we told Lillian this, and it sent her on a grand quest to get a corn of cob although the vendor was out of corn. It was like Lord of the Rings, but with corn and no elves. Meanwhile, after hitting the vendor selling Coke Zero for $1, I waited in the long line for Lester's with Big Red. That's Lillian's husband's nickname, not a pack of gum. I should mention this so you don't think I keep referencing a pack of gum. Lillian tried again to get some corn at this point, but no luck. I won't say she was mumbling something about "precious", but I will also not deny it.

In line at Lester's, Red and I were set on definitely getting ribs, so the two options were, two ribs for $8, or 1/3 a rack of ribs for $12. Both came with beans and slaw. I thought, oh, a 1/3 of rack of ribs should be huge, I want that. Red thought the same. They also had 6 wings for $3, 12 for $6. So we decided to get 6 wings each and a 1/3 of a rack of ribs. I thought we might need help carrying the 2/3 rack of ribs back. Since the pack of gum held my place while I bought the Coke Zero, I let him/it go first. He ordered the 1/3 of a rack. They put his order together and it was three ribs. Three. THREE! So like a true BBQ festival pro (this was my first BBQ festival), I just went for the two ribs for value. Here's a crappy picture of the food:



The ribs were really good. The wings were some of the best wings I have ever had. The slaw was pretty good, but the beans were forgettable. Connor had a few beans. He said "Da da blurp, spurzzzzz, aigh!" At this point Lillian finally was rewarded when Red brought her some corn. 

So it was time to leave. We went by the alpaca pen, and the alpacas were all gone. There were signs in the pen that said "All alpacas are for sale." So I just assume some alpaca baron snatched them up. Too bad. After that, we went to get some pepperoni bread, didn't we Lillian?

1 comment: