Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lambert's Rainbow Fruit Sub

So I got a sub at Lambert's Rainbow Fruit. Getting the address for that link and the title is the first I have heard of that full name. I just thought it was Lambert's, but now I am going to be annoying and always say the full name, Lambert's Rainbow Fruit. Here's the sub wrapped:

And now unwrapped minus two bites:


I took two bites before I remembered I have a dumb blog and took a picture. Sorry. That is my usual order at Lambert's Rainbow Fruit: pastrami with provolone cheese, pickles, onions and mustard. POM, if you will. I feel like I haven't perfected my pastrami order.  Something else should go on it, but nothing sounds right. Lettuce and tomatoes I have tried and they just don't work well.

Lambert's Rainbow Fruit is famous for their giant salad bar. It is a really good salad bar, but I get too intimidated by make your own salad bars, especially the pay per pound variety. I always try to maximize my value. I think too much about weight for each item and end up with a weird assortment of meats, vegetables and cheeses and there always seem to be tortellini involved somehow.

So instead of the salad bar I get a sub at Lambert's Rainbow Fruit, and usually their pastrami which they make themselves. It's very good, they give you a lot of meat. There's a little too much fat on some pieces, but I pick the fat off and give to the dog. The dog also gets a few whole pastrami pieces to make it more manageable size-wise. The dog is usually a big fan of Lambert's Rainbow Fruit. When I ate this sub, she was sleeping on the couch and couldn't even be bothered to come beg and get the meat. So I walked over to her with the meat, put it right in front of her mouth and then she ate it and immediately went back to sleep. The dog has it pretty good.

Lambert's Rainbow Fruit is also unusual in that you pick your piece of bread, and hand it to the sandwich maker. So I really scout out all those sub rolls looking for the best shape and size. I'm like the Mel Kiper of sub roll drafts. All sandwiches are $6 too, which is pretty cheap and you don't have to worry about cheese surcharges and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment