Friday, August 31, 2012

Fuji Apples are My Favorite Type of Apple

Hey guys, I bought a new laptop the other day. Here it is:



Oh, do you see that black square towards the top right? That is a disc drive, I paid $79 extra for that because computers do not come with them now. I kind of understand why it is not included with the computer because I hardly ever use a disc drive. But I like to buy music at actual stores if I can. I know if my son is reading this now from the future (Hi Connor, go to bed now please), that last sentence will not make any sense, but I do like to support Newbury Comics while it exists instead of iTunes and Amazon (Connor, those were places to buy stuff). 

Anyway, I seem to have an Apple problem:


This is my fourth attempt to write this post. The three previous attempts led to me ranting like a lunatic, so I will try to keep it calm from here on in. OK, I'm breathing slowly now. I like Apple products a lot as that picture above shows. 

I bought my first Mac laptop four years ago. For a while I've been struggling with disc space issues on the laptop. My old laptop had 256 GB of space. Pictures of sandwiches and iced tea take up a lot of space, you guys. To save space, it got to the point where I was deleting music files just so I could use my computer. So I needed to get a new, larger capacity computer. 

For the last year, I was waiting until Apple announced their new computer lineup to buy a new computer. They finally did and I was excited and then looked at the options. I wanted more than 256 GBs. Hey, go try and build a 512 GB computer on apple.com, I dare you. Or I can just tell you the only three options:
  1. MacBook Air 11": starts at 128 GBs, for $1100. That is cheap! Oh, do you want to upgrade to 512 GBs? I do. Well that will cost you $800 more. Eight hundred. That should shock you. Oh, $800 for 300+ GBs, what is this 1997? So we're at $1900 to start.
  2. MacBook Air 13": you have to choose the $1,500 choice to even have an option to go to 512 GBs. It starts with 256 GBs. To upgrade to 512 GBs, that will cost you $500 extra. Five hundred dollars! Five hundred dollars to go from 256 to 512 GBs. Check your internet, it is still 2012. GBs should not cost anywhere close to that. 
  3. The third option is a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. So there we start at $2,200 at 256 GBs.  Laptops should not cost anywhere close to that to start. The option to go to 512 GBs adds $500. So $2,700. Again, $500 to go from 256 GBs to 512 GBs. It is 2012! All I want is to store my hundreds of GBs of pictures of sandwiches.

OK, so no more numbered bullet points. My conclusion is: in 2008 I bought an Apple laptop with 256 GBs of storage for $1,400. Four years later I paid $2,300 for an Apple laptop with 512 GBs of storage. Explain that, anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment